How to make Kaklo (Fried plantain cakes)
This is one of the numerous munchies that can be made from plantain.
Made from over-ripe plantain fritters, Kaklo (or kakro) is a delicious traditional Ghanaian snack.
With fewer ingredients and less cooking time, the preparation of kaklo is quite simple and straightforward.
3 overripe plantain
3 medium-sized onions
Pepper (depending on your preference)
Nkitinkiti and pepre (Local spices)
Salt to taste
- Grind pepper, ginger, nkitinkiti and pepre in an earthenware bowl into a paste.
- Peel the overripe plantain and add to the ground mixture and grind till it is perfectly mixed.
- Add salt and flour and mix till all ingredients are mixed evenly in the earthenware bowl.
- Put your frying pan on the fire with oil enough for the frying process.
- Use a ladle to scoop a small amount of the mixture and put it in the oil to test if the mixture is intact. If not add some more flour.
- Fry the rest of the mixture, taking time to turn each ball to avoid it being burnt.
Your Kaklo is ready! Serve with cooked beans or groundnut.