How to make spicy beef Jollof rice
This one-pot rice meal comprises of just three major ingredients; Rice, tomato gravy and fried beef.
Mixing rice and a very delicious tomato and beef sauce to make beef Jollof is quite a tasty West African meal.
West African Dish
Boiling / Stewing
1/2-1 pound boneless beef
3 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1/2 green bell pepper
Scotch bonnet pepper as required (optional)
Salt as required.
1/2 cup/120ml oil
3 tablespoon tomato paste/ puree
1 large onion
2 tablespoon turkey berries (optional)
Pepper as required
2 large tomatoes chopped
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 bay leaf
2 cups rice
1 1/2 – 2cups water adjust with the brand used
Salt as required
- Dice the beef into desired sizes then mix all the ingredients under beef (above) together and pour it over the beef.
- Pour water as needed and put on high heat and cook till is tender. Take out your beef and set it aside.
- Blend onions, turkey berries and pepper together, set aside. Put oil in a saucepan and set it on fire. When oil is hot, fry beef and set it aside.
- Pour tomato paste in the hot oil and stir fry for about two minutes then add blended onions, pepper and turkey berries, chopped tomatoes and stir fry. Add salt, curry and bay leaf. Cover and let simmer on high heat for about five minutes.
- Wash rice till water is cleared. Add washed rice to the stew, leftover beef stock from the cooked beef, water as needed, check and adjust for salt.
- Cover tightly and bring to boil. Immediately it starts boiling, remove the lid, using a thin wooden ladle or a long fork stir from bottom to top. Cover tightly and let simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes. After the time has elapsed, remove the lid, stir again. Stir in beef at this point. Cover tightly and let simmer for 10 more minutes till it’s well cooked.
Your beef Jollof rice is ready! Serve with coleslaw.