How to cook delicious Jollof rice with mixed vegetables
Adding fresh vegetables to your really tasty jollof rice gives it a more pretty look and makes it healthy.
Here is an easy recipe to go about it:
1 hour 30 minutes
Carrots – 5 medium sized
Green Pepper (Bell pepper) – 1 piece
Chicken (whole chicken drumsticks or chicken breast)
Pepper – to taste
Salt (to taste)
Onions – 2 medium sized bulbs
Tatashe (Red bell pepper)
Habanero Pepper (Rodo)
1. Prepare tomato stew (Blend tomatoes, onions, Red bell pepper and habanero pepper to a smooth paste and cook.
2. Wash and cut chicken into pieces. Cook with seasoning and chopped onions. When done, grill in an oven. You may also choose to fry your chicken to give it a golden look.
3. Parboil the rice, Wash the parboiled rice and put in a sieve to drain. Pour the chicken stock (from the cooked chicken) and the tomato stew into a sizeable pot and leave to boil.
4. Add the drained parboiled rice, pepper and seasoning to taste. The water level should be the same level of the rice. This is to ensure that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked.
5. Cover the pot and leave to cook on low to medium heat. This way the rice does not burn before the water dries up.
6. Wash, scrape and cut the carrots into small cubes. Wash and cut the green pepper into small pieces.
7. When the water is almost dry add the diced carrots, cover the pot and continue cooking. When the water is completely dry, turn off the stove.
8. Add the diced green pepper and stir the rice. Green pepper is added after the cooker is turned off to keep the pepper green and looking fresh.
Your Jollof rice is ready!Tags: Dish Healthy Jollof rice Meal Recipe Vegetable