7 health benefits of Boli, a delicious Nigerian snack
Boli is a popular snack that is mostly sold on the roadside around the country.
Plantains are delicious and Nigerians love the roasted ones a lot, especially people from the South-south region who eat it with fish.
Although it can be found in many places in the world, they certainly don’t eat it as much as Nigerians do.
Here are a few health benefits of your mouth-watering ‘boli’:
1. Plantains contain a high amount of dietary fibre which helps ensure healthy bowels and reduces constipation.
2. Plantains are a very reliable source of starch and energy, especially when roasted.
3. As in bananas, they too are rich sources of B-complex vitamins, particularly high in vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine).
Pyridoxine is an important B-complex vitamin that has a beneficial role in the treatment of neuritis, anaemia, and to decrease homocysteine (one of the causative factors for coronary artery disease (CHD) and stroke episodes) levels in the body.
4. Plantains have more vitamin C and A than bananas. It also contains powerful antioxidants.
5. They contain folates, niacin, riboflavin and thiamin which are essential for healthy pregnancy.
6. Plantains have more potassium than bananas. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure, countering the negative effects of sodium.
7. Plantains also provide adequate levels of minerals such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorous.Tags: Boli Health benefits Healthy Plantain