How to prepare spicy African meatballs
These are soft and really delicious meatballs that goes with rice or spaghetti.
2 pounds ground beef (about 1 kg)
1 medium onion – chopped
8 cloves garlic – minced
1 large egg
3 sprigs parsley – chopped
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
4 seasoning cubes
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup oil
3-4 large tomatoes – chopped
16 ounces tomato sauce (about 450g) I used 2 8oz cans
3 leaves basil – chopped
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl place meat, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, half the garlic, half the onion, salt, white pepper and seasoning cubes. Mix with your hands until just combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the meat mixture then form it into a ball with your palms. Place on a tray. Repeat the process until the meat mixture is finished.
- Heat the oil in a pan on high for about 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium then place the balls into the oil. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan with the balls.
- Let one side cook for 3- minutes then flip to the other side and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from oil and repeat the process with the rest of the balls.
- Add remaining onions and garlic to the oil and saute until fragrant. Add in tomatoes and cook while stirring from time to time until the tomatoes shrink. About 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for another 10 minutes or until the tomatoes no longer taste sour. Be sure to stir from time to time. At this point, adjust the consistency of the sauce. If it is too thick, add some water. About half to 1 cup of water is fine.
- Add in remaining seasoning cubes, a pinch of salt and stir well. Add in the meatballs and mix gently, being sure to coat the balls with the sauce. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the chopped basil and stir gently. Turn off the heat and enjoy!
Your meatballs are ready, they go perfectly over delicious, boiled spaghetti.Tags: African Meat Meatballs Rice Side dish Spaghetti