How to make tasty cassava leaf soup
This is a very delicious and easy recipe that is eaten in lot of African countries.
Cassava leaf soup is mostly prepared using smoked dry fish to give it an added flavour but you can also use meat.
3 pounds frozen cassava leaves
1 pound sliced beef
½ pound smoked fish, chicken or turkey
1 medium chopped onion
½ palm oil
½ canola oil
½ cup ground crayfish dried shrimps
4-5 tablespoon ground groundnuts or peanut butter puree
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon or Maggie powder
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 – 1 pound shrimp
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil and season the meat with salt, onions and Maggi and boil in a large saucepan till it’s tender. Pour the meat in a bowl and the meat stock in another.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat then add the onions, crayfish and sauté till fragrant for 2 minutes. Add the beef and/or smoked meat afterwards.
- Stir in peanut butter or groundnut paste, then add stock about a cup cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the drained cassava leaves in and keep cooking for 25 minutes.
- Finally, if using shrimp add shrimp – cook until shrimp turns pink about 3-5 minutes.
- Add seasonings such as Maggie and salt to taste, water and oil to maintain soup consistency.
Your cassava leaf soup is ready! Serve warm with rice.Tags: African Cassava leaf soup Dry Fish Soup