How to make South-African Boerewors
This recipe is very easy to make and would take less than 30 minutes in preparing.
Common in South African cuisines, Boerewors is a type of sausage that traditionally contains beef, pork and bacon, but you can use just ground beef if you prefer.
It can be stored in your refrigerator for about 7 days and in the freezer for almost 6 months.
South African Dish
3 lbs. minced beef
3 lbs. minced pork
1 lb. minced bacon
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. minced garlic
5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3 oz. sausage casing
Plastic freezer bags
- Combine the minced beef, pork and bacon in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir them with your hands and run the meat through a meat grinder per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place the ground meat back into the mixing bowl and add the red wine vinegar, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, coriander, nutmeg, allspice, thyme and cloves.
- Stir to blend the seasonings into the mixture.
- Feed the mixture into the sausage casing using a sausage stuffer.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using your sausage stuffer, each one functions differently. Place the stuffed casings into plastic freezer bags and into the refrigerator.
- Leave them to set for 24 hours before cooking them. If you use only ground beef, you will need 7 lbs.