How to make popular Ghanaian Ayigbe/Kube toffee
This local candy recipes shows how you can make alot of things out of coconut.
The Ayigbe/Kube toffee also known as coconut toffee is a popular sweet and savoury candy that can be found locally all around Ghana.
1 1/2 dry coconut
7 tablespoons of sugar
Pinch of salt
- Remove the coconut fruit from the hard casing and wash.
- Grate the coconut on the smaller side of the grater. Use warm water and gently massage the coconut and then separate the liquid from the chaff with the strainer (Warm water helps to melt the fat from the chaff).
- Put the liquid- Milk on fire on low heat. Scoop the white milk from the water. If it is boiled the milk will be mixed with the water hence difficult to separate the milk.
- Now put the separated milk back on fire. Add salt and sugar.
- Keep stirring the milk till the oil and the toffee start to separate. Use the ladle to scoop out the oil and keep on stirring the toffee till golden brown.
- Turn the toffee onto the chopping board. Allow to cool a little and then cut and mould them into shape.
Your Ayigbe/Kube toffee is ready! Wrap in food plastic bags to keep them from melting.Tags: Ayigbe toffee Coconut Ghana Snacks