Ever tasted African stewed Potatoes? Here’s how to make it.
This lovely delicacy is a one-pot dish that is enough to feed a whole family
African stewed potatoes are potatoes that are completely immersed in a vegetable, onion and tomato sauce.
This is a dish that is very simple and tasty, it also doesn’t take time to make.
2.5 pounds russet potatoes
0.5 cup canola oil
1.5 pound smoked turkey
1 medium onion
4 tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Chicken bouillon
2 cups water or chicken broth
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 scotch bonnet pepper optional
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup sliced carrots
1 medium bell pepper green or red chopped
Salt to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut them into big chunks. Place in water to prevent discolouration.
- Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the smoked turkey, sauté with onions in the oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring often and scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, paprika, Maggie (bouillon) and cook stirring for about 5-7 minutes.
- Throw in the potatoes, water and let it simmer, for about 5-7 minutes. Then add carrots and bell pepper, continue cooking until potatoes are tender. You may have to stir occasionally to prevent burns.
- Adjust for seasonings and serve.