A delicious Northern dish: Easy steps to make Borno’s Margi special
This is a recipe that is made in most parts of the north but is known by different names in different states.
Also known as Meltuble in Adamawa, Margi special is a dish that must contain catfish, white zobo leaves and yakuwa leaves too.
1 Medium Catfish (Cut into chunks)
1 cup of white zobo leaves
2 large Tomatoes
3 Scotch bonnet peppers
1 medium Onion (Chopped)
1 small bunch of Green vegetables
1 cooking spoon of Palm Oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the catfish thoroughly, season it and set it aside.
- Dice the pepper, tomatoes, green vegetables and onions and set aside.
- Soak the white zobo leaves overnight with 2 cups of boiled water. Add some potash to reduce its sour flavour.
- Boil the liquid gotten from the soaked zobo in a pot and mix it with the tomatoes, peppers and onions.
- Pour in the seasoned catfish with the soaked zobo leaves and bring to boil in the same pot while stirring.
- Add the oil and add the chopped vegetables then let it simmer for 10 minutes under low heat.
Your Margi special is ready! Serve with tuwon or any swallow of your choice.