Take a bite of Vitumbua, East Africa’s addictive snack
Also known as Masa in some parts of West Africa, this recipe is mostly eaten as breakfast.
Vitumbua, which is also called coconut rice pancake is a very healthy doughnut that is topped with vegan caramel sauce and gives you utmost joy as each bite melts in your mouth.
This recipe is eaten across African countries like Kenya, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Uganda, Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi, Rwanda and Burundi, Somalia and is best enjoyed with Chai tea latte.
1 hr 15 minutes
Side Dish / Snack
East African Dish
2 cups rice
1 teaspoon yeast
1 cup canned coconut milk
2-3 tablespoon coconut flakes
½ -1 teaspoon salt
¾ – 1-cup sugar
1 teaspoon Spice Cardamom, nutmeg
½ teaspoon almond extract
COCONUT DIPPING SAUCE
1 can coconut
¾ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Soak 2 cups of rice in a large bowl and let it soften, this might take 4 hours or more, preferably overnight.
- Drain the water completely and add in a food processor or blender together with coconut milk, flakes, spices, sugar, salt and yeast. Blend until puree, you might have to do this in batches depending on your blender- make sure you pause in between and check for smoothness.
- Pour in a large bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm area until doubled in size or when you see bubbles forming.
- Heat a vitumba, or fry pan on medium heat, add about a ½ or more teaspoon of oil, and brush the holes with the oil.
- Make sure the pan is warm enough before adding batter about ¾ full. Cook for about 2 -3 minutes on each side, then quickly flip using a chopstick. Continue cooking on the other side and repeat this process until all the batter is finished.
- Let it cool slightly.
COCONUT CARAMEL DIPPING SAUCE
- Bring the coconut milk and brown sugar to a boil together in a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir frequently until the mixture is thick and the volume has reduced by about half, about 20 minutes or more.
Your delicious Vitumbua is ready! Enjoy with chai or caramel dipping sauce.