Simple steps to preparing Ndambe (Senegal’s popular street food)
Ndambe originated from Senegal, it is a spicy bean stew made with black-eyed peas, it is served as street food in Dakar and some city centers in Senegal.
- 1 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 finely chopped sweet potato
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cans of washed black-eyed beans
- kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 8 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- lemon wedges (optional)
- 2 diced fresno chillies
- Heat the coconut oil until then add the onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and some pepper, then stir for 7 to 10 minutes until it is golden brown and softened 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add your garlic and chilies then allow it to cook for 30 seconds until it is aromatized
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, bay leaves, and some cups of water.
- Allow it to simmer for a while, then reduce the heat and leave it uncovered
- Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add your sweet potatoes and 2 spoons of salt.
- Cook the potatoes until it is soft 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste, and serve.