Make this easy Nigerian fish pie snack
This is an amazing snack that is quite popular on the streets of Lagos and other states.
Nigerian fish pie is so much alike with the meat pie with fish stuffed in it instead of meat. It is quite fluffy and filling too.
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of water
A can of sardines
- Melt the butter and work into the flour till properly mixed. Add the baking powder and salt and continue working it in. Add half of the whisked egg to the flour and mix.
- Slowly pour the water and mix and knead the dough. Do not pour all the water at once. Add it step by step so the dough can hold.
- Do not over work the dough. Once you have kneaded it sufficiently, wrap in a plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours so the dough can be smoother.
- Take out the sardines from the can and mash. Feel free to add anything you like like chopped onions or peppers. I made mine plain.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Once the dough is smoother, sprinkle some flour on the surface you would be rolling the dough on and roll out your dough.
- Place a small portion of the mashed fish on the dough and roll. I had fun with mine and got cookie cutters to make different shapes. The standard way of doing this is to cut the dough into squares and roll.
- Once you have laid out your fish pies on a greased pan, use the rest of the whisked egg to coat the dough by rubbing the egg on them. This gives it that finished brownish look.
- Place in the oven for about 25-30 mins.
Your Nigerian fish pie! Serve your snack with a cold drink.Tags: Fish pie Nigerian snack Snack