How to prepare pate
A dish prepared with grounded corn or rice, cooked with vegetables and tomatoes,onions, garden eggs, locust beans, biscuit bone, meat minces. which is locally known as “Tsaki or Tsakin pate. It is largely consumed in kaduna, nasarrawa, plateau and other west northern states.
- 2 cups of braised Maize (tsaki)
- 1 tablespoon of grounded Locust Beans
- 1 cup of groundnut
- 1 medium size onion
- 7 pieces of fresh tomatoes(optional)
- 9 pieces of pepper
- 1 bunch of Kenaf Leaf (Rama)
- 1 bunch of the star shape Kenaf leaf (Yakuwa)
- 1 tin of white zobo sepals (optional)
- Scent Leaves
- Spring Onions
- 7 seasoning Cubes
- Boil some water.
- Put the white zobo sepal in a bowl and add the now boiling water to it. Cover the bowl and allow for 15 minutes before washing.
- Wash the pieces of meat, put in a pot. Add water and 1 seasoning cube. Set on heat and allow to cook till soft.
- Wash the Kenaf leaves, pick and chop it into large pieces and set in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of salt and add water. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before washing with water twice.
- Wash and slice the tomatoes and onion bulb in a bowl and set aside.
- Pick and wash the scent leaves and set aside.
- Crush the Groundnut and wash, chop the spring Onion and set aside
- Wash and grate the pepper and set aside.
- When the meat is cooked, add the washes white zobo sepals, locust beans, grated pepper and add a liter of water to the pot.
- Add salt to taste, the seasoning cubes.
- Cover the pot and allow to boil.
- Using your spatula, stir as you add the tsaki in the boiling water.
- Keep stirring to avoid it making molds.
- Allow to cook till soft and forms a thick porridge after stirring.
- Use a spoon to taste the porridge to know if it’s all soften up. If yes, add the washed scent leaves, chopped spring onions and stir.
- Add the slices tomatoes, sliced onion and stir before adding the crushed groundnut.
- Stir and add water if too thick.
- Close the pot and allow to cook for 5 minutes
- When the time is up, stir and add the kenaf leaves. Stir well, off the heat
- Allow to steam for 5 minutes before serving.