How to prepare Ofe Onugbu [Bitterleaf Soup]
Ofe Onugbu a.k.a Bitterleaf soup is native to the Igbos of Eastern Nigeria.
The soup doesn’t necessarily taste like the name so a well prepared bitterleaf soup should never be bitter! The bitter leaves should be washed and squeezed thoroughly till all traces of bitterness have been washed off.
Red Palm Oil
Pepper, salt and ground crayfish
Ogiri Igbo (traditional seasoning)
Before cooking, wash and cook the cocoyam till soft. Use a mortar and pestle to pound the corms to a smooth paste.
1. Boil your shaki and stock fish first.
2. Wash the beef and add to the pot of shaki etc. and continue cooking. Add seasoning.
3. Add pepper, ground crayfish, bitter leaves and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the cocoyam paste and palm oil.
4. Cover the pot and leave to cook on high heat till all the cocoyam lumps have dissolved.
5. Add some salt and the soup is ready.