How to prepare egusi soup using sunflower seed instead of melon
Egusi is mostly made using melon seeds but sunflower seeds are also an excellent replacement. Here’s the recipe if you’re adventurous enough to try it.
Ground Sunflower seed
1. Boil the meat and stockfish with salt, onions and seasoning till tender. Put the boiled meat and fish in a bowl, separate from the meat stock.
2. Pour palm oil into a clean dry pot and place on the stove to heat. Once the oil get very hot, add the sunflower seed powder and fry.
3. Keep stirring the mix on fire for 10 minutes.
4. Now pour the meat stock into it bit by bit while still constantly stirring the soup. If the soup still looks too thick after adding the meat stock, Add hot water in the same fashion as the meat stock till you get the texture you want then add the bitter leaf.
5. Close the pot and let it cook for 20 minutes while you keep stirring at intervals to avoid burning. Lave for another 10 minutes till you notice the oil has separated from the mix which means the soup is done.
6. Pour the Ugwu into the soup then add the ground crayfish and pepper. Stir the soup very well so the Ugwu can mix completely then add the meat and stockfish.
7. Add salt to taste, the add some water if it is still too thick.
8. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer.
The Sunflower soup is ready! Serve with any swallow you want.