How to prepare delicious Okazi soup
Okazi soup is a thickened vegetable soup from Owerri (eastern Nigeria). It is similar to Ofe Owerri, but with some slight differences.
- 1 handful of chopped uziza or ugu leaves
- 1 cup shelled periwinkle (optional)
- 1 tablespoon achi or ofo powder
- 1 wrap of ogiri isi
- 1 tablespoon of ground crayfish
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- Seasoning and salt
- 10 medium pieces of assorted meat
- 1 medium stockfish
- 3 medium dried or smoked fish
- 3 medium pomo
- 2 Cameroon peppers
- 3 handfuls sliced okazi (afang leaves)
- Pound the okazi leaves.
- Rinse the meat, add spices and cook with the stockfish until tender.
- Add pomo, dried/smoked fish and more water; cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers, palm oil, crayfish, and ogiri, seasoning and salt, to taste.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the achi or ofo and keep stirring for 2 minutes, to get a consistency similar to Ofe Nsala (you can add a little water if it is too thick).
- Add the okazi and uziza leaves.
- Cook for 2 minutes and it will be ready.
You can enjoy it with any swallow of your choiceTags: okazi soup owerri dish Vegetable