How to prepare creamy Chai tea latte
This is one guilt-free drink that once you have a taste, you will keep begging for more.
Popular in the Eastern part of Africa, Chai which means spiced milk tea originated from India and is mostly served with Mandazi.
The beverage is a sweet, milky and fresh tea that is spiced with cinnamon, anise, clove, cardamom and ginger.
East African Tea
2 cups (473 ml) of coconut milk
1 cup (175ml) of water
2 star anise
2 teaspoons of grated or finely chopped ginger
2 short crumble cinnamon sticks
7 cardamon pods heavily crushed
2 bags of black tea I used earl grey
3 sweetener packet sweetener splenda ,stevia
6 tablespoons of fat free whipped cream optional
1 whole nutmeg for topping
- Crush star anise, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods and chop ginger.
- In a medium saucepan, add 2 cups of water together with the crushed spices.
- Bring the water to a boil, then let the spices simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and then add tea bags and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- When the tea has reached its desired strength add coconut milk. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
Your Chai tea latte is ready! Serve warm with grated nutmeg and whipped cream or let it cool and pour over ice.