How to make spicy Kenyan Pilau recipe
This amazing rice dish is prepared just like the Nigerian Jollof but it differs a lot because of the spices.
Kenyan Pilau is is known by different names amongst different cultures. Some call it pilaf while others call it pulao, pilav or palaw.
1 pound of goat meat
1 cup of dressed shrimp
1.5 cups of Rice
2 cloves of garlic
4 cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
4 teaspoons of cumin seed powder
4 whole black peppercorns
1 small onion
2 small tomatoes
1 cooking spoon of vegetable oil
Salt to taste
- Season and boil the meat and set aside.
- Chop and crush all the spices and set aside.
- Heat up the oil and sauté the onions till its golden brown. Add the meat and allow to brown a little then add the spices, and the rice and the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the shrimps and add 2 cups of water and reduce the heat and allow to steam.
- Consistently check it to make sure the water has dried and the rice is soft. Once the rice is soft, increase the heat and stir it to let all the spices be absorbed in the rice.
Your Pilau is ready! Serve with Kachumbari or any other salad.