How to make Scallion spring onion Pancake
Spring Onion Pancake (Scallion/Green onion pancake) is a savoury pancake made from dough instead of a batter.
- 250g Plain Flour
- 200ml Boiling Water
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Peppercorns
- 2 Bunches Spring Onions
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tsp Black Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 spoon of Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Chilli Oil Bits
- Combine the flour, a pinch of salt, and hot water (the water must be boiling!) with a wooden spoon. Once it is cool enough to handle, knead for 10 minutes.
- It will be sticky at first but don’t add any more flour, it will form a really soft dough.
- Wrap in cling film, and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Mix the sesame oil, 2 tablespoons of flour, and a pinch of salt to form a paste.
- Grind up the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar. Then finely chop up the spring onions.
- Portion the dough into 4 pieces, cover the remaining in cling film.
- One-piece at a time, roll the dough into a large circle. It should be the thickness of a pound coin (which is 2.80mm).
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of sesame oil paste onto the dough before sprinkling on a pinch of Sichuan peppercorns and a handful of spring onions.
- Tightly roll the pancake to form a log. Roll the log, tucking one end in a spiral to form a snail shape.
- Gently press, and roll on it with a rolling pin gently to form a thick pancake. Keep each pancake separate, in between sheets of baking paper, until you are ready to fry.
- Fry on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Serve hot!!!!