How to make Lepelsteeltjies
Lepelsteeltjies is an easy and delicious South African treat and can also be mistaken for Cheese and Jam Thumbprints if you are not familiar with this local cocktail bite.
Lepelsteeltjies is one of those age-old recipes that have seen its way through a long and tedious “groot trek”, to church bazaar tables and on the shelves of “tuisnywerhede”. It is a delicious savoury cheese biscuit, baked with a hole in the centre and filled with sweet jam.
500 ml flour
3 ml baking powder
250g cheddar cheese finely grated
250g butter room temperature
2 ml salt
- In a mixing bowl, sieve the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the cheese and mix.
- Lastly, add the butter, and mix through with your hands until you have a manageable dough.
- Roll small balls, gently put it in the muffin tins, and press a hole in the middle with the back of the wooden spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius until it starts to change to a light golden colour.
- Remove, let cool, and use an icing press to gently squeeze jam in the hole. Or you can use a teaspoon if you like to make a mess…