How to make grilled Piri-Piri chicken
This chicken recipe is one that you should be firing up your grill for this lovely weekend.
Piri Piri chicken is made by completely marinating chicken laps otherwise known as drumsticks in the amazing flavours of peri-peri sauce then grill. You can decide to make it a bit spicy or turn up the heat fully.
The peri-peri sauce is a fine blend of fresh garlic, jalapeno pepper, chillies, red pepper, onions oregano, smoked paprika, basil, salt, lemon and olive oil which gives it a slightly salty-sweet and sour taste.
2 hrs 15 minutes
8 chicken legs
2 tablespoons Piri-Piri sauce
½ sliced onion
6 chopped garlic cloves
½ red bell pepper
6 basil leaves
2 tablespoons oregano
½ teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper
Salt and pepper to season
¼ cup olive oil
I lime or lemon
- Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin. Rub with lemon, and 2 teaspoons creole spice or season with salt and pepper.
- Place the onions, garlic, basil, oregano, bell pepper, and peri peri sauce in a food processor or blender, then add, olive oil. Pulse for about 30 seconds until blended.
- Marinate the chicken with peri-peri sauce, place in a zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to grill, remove chicken from the peri peri marinade and remove excess marinate. Reserve the marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium- high heat.
- Place chicken on the grill and grill for about 10-15 minutes an each side you may need to turn the chicken occasionally on each side until it is cooked all the way. Do this in batches if you have a small grill.
- In a small saucepan simmer the remaining peri peri marinade and the one from the chicken for about 7 minutes.
Your Piripiri chicken is ready! Serve as a stand alone or with rice, chips and pasta.