How to make East African Sukuma Wiki dish
This is a very vegan friendly dish that is quite time friendly.
The Sukuma wiki whuch means _stress the week” in swahili is a meal is quite popular among the Kenyans and Tanzanians.
This dish is filled with flavours and spice and it is best paired with Ugali (cornmeal fufu).
East African Dish
1 kale bunch or collard greens
1-2 cups chopped or ground beef/chicken optional
medium tomatoes diced
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 large white onion
2 or more tablespoons canola or cooking oil
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon curry or turmeric spice
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more
½ juiced Lemon about 1 tablespoon
Tablespoon bouillon powder or cube
- In a medium-large skillet, add oil, onions, and garlic, and sauté, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns.
- Then add tomatoes, curry, coriander and paprika, and continue stirring with a heavy wooden spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Add minced meat, bouillon powder; stir until ingredients have been thoroughly combining. Simmer for about 5 minutes or more.
- Throw in chopped collards, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until flavours have blend and greens are cooked, according to preference. Adjust seasonings –Salt and pepper, turn off the heat.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool. serve with ugali