Easy way to make homemade fried bread
This recipe is quite easy to make and goes well with other dishes too.
Fried bread is a meal that is quite crispy and fried to an amazing level of perfection.
This lovely flat dough bread is a marvellous accompaniment for different dishes and at any time of the day.
2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons (10g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (4g) sugar
½ teaspoon (2.5g) salt
1 cup (237ml) warm water
Vegetable oil for frying
1 teaspoon (5g) minced garlic
½ cup (57.5g) onion, diced
1 pound (453.59g) ground beef, lean
1-1 ½ tablespoon (3g-4.5g) taco seasoning
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz diced green chiles, canned
1 ½ cup canned or fresh diced tomatoes
¾ cup (177.75ml) water or broth
1–2 sliced green onions
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sliced black olives
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and sugar (if using) and salt. Add in water gradually, using hands to combine. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap (or the dough will harden) and put it aside for 30 minutes while making the meat topping.
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic and onion for 4-5 minutes on medium until fragrant. Add the ground beef and break it into pieces with a spatula until browned.
- Add in taco seasoning followed by black beans, green chiles, and tomatoes. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low-medium until broth is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, drizzle olive oil over the dough. Take 2-inch sized pieces of dough and thin out with a rolling pin, as thin as you can get without tearing. Pour enough vegetable oil into a deep skillet, preferably a cast-iron skillet, and cover it with 2 inches of oil. Heat to oil 350 degrees F.
- Using one at a time, fry dough in the hot oil until slightly brown, then flip to brown the other side. Place on a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
Your Fried bread is ready! Serve warm alongside beans, eggs, black olives, sliced lettuce, avocado, and a dollop of sour cream.