Akara: enjoy the tasty Nigerian bean fritter recipe
This is a very delicious and quick recipe that is common and can be seen sold at almost all street corners in the country.
Akara, also known as bean fritter is a very popular Nigerian fluffy snack that can be enjoyed as a stand-alone or with pap, garri, bread and many more.
2 cups of beans
1 small bulb of chopped onions
2-3 chopped small scotch bonnet peppers
Shrimps (optional- you can include any protein of your choice)
- Wash and soak your beans overnight in a bowl of water.
- Wash the beans till the skin has peeled off.
- Blend the beans with a little water till it forms a paste.
- Pour your paste in a bowl and with a wooden spoon, whisk the paste till the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add your seasoning, salt, chopped shrimps, chopped onions and pepper. (You can also choose to blend the onion and pepper and mix it in)
- Heat oil till moderately hot, scoop paste with a spoon and drop immediately.
- Fry till golden brown
Your delicious akara is ready! Serve with bread, custard, pap or garri.