10 wonderful benefits of sesame oil
Sesame oil is an edible vegetable oil derived from sesame seeds. Besides being used as a cooking oil, it is used as a flavor enhancer in many cuisines, having a distinctive nutty aroma and taste. The oil is one of the earliest-known crop-based oils. Worldwide mass modern production is limited due to the inefficient manual harvesting process required to extract the oil. Sesame oil is composed of the following fatty acids: linoleic acid (41% of total), oleic acid (39%), palmitic acid (8%), stearic acid (5%) and others in small amounts.
Here are the wonderful benefits of sesame oil:
- Sesame seeds contain magnesium which has anti-cancer properties. They also contain an anti-cancer compound called phytate. Sesame seeds have proven to be effective in reducing the risk of colorectal tumors, thus preventing colorectal cancer.
- Sesame seeds contain copper, a mineral that is vital for antioxidant enzyme systems, thus reducing the pain and swelling associated with arthritis. Besides, this mineral provides strength to the blood vessels, bones, and joints.
- Sesame seeds contain zinc that boosts the bone mineral density and the bone health. The deficiency of this mineral can cause osteoporosis in the hip and spine area. Sesame seeds are a great source of calcium, a trace mineral that is vital to bone health.
- Sesame seeds help the liver to decompose the harmful effects of alcohol as well as other substances that generate poisoning in the body.
- Black sesame seeds benefit in lowering the cholesterol levels. They contain two substances called sesamin and sesamolin, which belong to a group of fibers called lignans. Lignans have a cholesterol lowering effect as they are rich in dietary fiber.
- According to traditional Chinese medicine, there is a strong relationship between the internal organs and external parts such as the eyes and the liver. Black sesame seeds are beneficial for the liver as they increase the liver blood, thereby nourishing the eyes. Their therapeutic effects help in treating blurred vision and tired, dry eyes.
- Nowadays hypertension is a common health problem among women and men from various age groups. Studies have indicated that using this oil can help reduce hypertension. The magnesium in this oil helps reduce blood pressure.
- Sesame seed oil is a natural anti-inflammatory agent and has excellent healing properties. Its antibacterial properties help to get rid of skin pathogens like staphylococcus and streptococcus as well as common skin fungi such as athlete’s foot fungus . Sesame seed oil mixed with warm water can control vaginal yeast infection.
- Sesame seeds are rich in replenishing vitamins, minerals and nutrients that are vital for a healthy scalp. Massaging your scalp with sesame seed oil combats dryness, flakiness and clogged pores that cause hair thinning and hair loss. Besides, its antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help in treating scalp infections and dandruff and soothing an irritated scalp.
- Sesame seed oil is known for its hair darkening qualities that make it effective for people suffering from premature graying of hair. It can be used with carrier oils like olive or almond oil to reap the maximum benefits.