How to prepare Basbousa Biltamr
Basbousa is a traditional Arabian semolina-based cake that is soaked in syrup, then studded with Almonds. This Libyan variety includes desiccated Coconut in the Cake mixture and Date paste that is sandwiched between the two layers of Semolina Cake.
The Cake is made with Semolina, regular Flour, desiccated Coconut, Sugar, Butter, Milk, Date paste, and Baking Powder. It is typically flavoured with Cinnamon. Libyans enjoy their Basbousa Biltamr with Qashta cream and pair it with Arabic Cardamom Coffee on the side.
- 2 cups Semolina
- 1 cup plain Flour
- 1 cup desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup Sugar (you can reduce the amount to 1/2 cup if you want it less sweet)
- 1 cup melted Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 500g Date paste cut into thin slices
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- ¼ tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Rosewater
- Mix all the liquid ingredients together and add to the dry ingredients.
- Spread half the batter into a buttered baking pan.
- Arrange Date paste slices on top carefully, then add the remaining Basbousa mix and spread.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 200°C degrees until golden in colour.
- Pour the syrup on top of the hot Basbousa
- Then bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve when it cools off